The archaeological site of Agia Triada, 3,5 km from Phaistos, houses the ruins of the luxurious villa, the Small Minoan Palace at Agia Triada. The site is named after the village of Agia Triada that is located next to it and was inhabited until 1897, when the Turks destroyed it. The Minoan name of the site is unknown. Excavations carried out in 1902-1904 brought tholos tombs and a Minoan palace to light here. Some of the most important findings of the Minoan period were excavated in Agia Triada and are currently on display at the Archaelogical museum of Iraklion. These include three engraved clay vessels of exemplary artistic value. Numerous graves were found there including two vaulted tombs. The famous Sarcophagus of Agia Triada was found there.
The site was settled during the neolithic ages as demonstrated by the numerous findings on the area. The Small Palace was built c. 1.600 B.C. and is believed by some historians to have served as the summer residence of the Phaistos honoraries. It was connected to the main palace at Phaistos by a paved road. Civilisation in Agia Triada followed the way of all Minoan sites in Crete. The Palace was destroyed in 1.450 b.c., when the Palaces of Knossos and Phaistos were also destroyed. On the ruins a new splendid palace was built, that was occupied until the Geometric period, when it started serving as a temple.
Today you can still find the church Agios Georgos tou Galata, which has frescoes also of "palaiologos type", that are among the oldest frescoes in Crete. The 2-headed eagle can be seen there, which is the symbol of the Byzantine Empire.